Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow 1st Generation Acura ILX Reviews

The following users liked this post:
Rocket_man (04-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Baby BMW?? I am starting to like it. Only if 2.4L came with Tech! Why Acura? Why?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
It's definitely smaller than the TSX. I'm now on the fence on what to expect. I like how they used different camera angles to make the car appear bigger than what it really is. When the host was standing next to it, i caught a quick glimpse of its real side.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Racer

If I was in a market for Hybrid, which I likely will be. ILX is the one I am getting. I get about 16-17 MPG in the city commute, and hybrid will double and I will be filling up once every 2 months!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by iamitman
Baby BMW?? I am starting to like it. Only if 2.4L came with Tech! Why Acura? Why?
Funny that they left Tech off the 2.4 because 'enthusiasts' don't want the extra weight yet they left off the LSD.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dom
Funny that they left Tech off the 2.4 because 'enthusiasts' don't want the extra weight yet they left off the LSD.
They left the tech out of the SE TSX which I have in 6MT likely for the same reason, but they made an Auto for the same price. Go figure that one out!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
So what is in the tech package for the ILX? If I was ever going to get this car it would have to be the 2.4L so what would I be missing out on?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 AM
David_Dude

Since the ILX is a little smaller and weighs a little less it should be a little faster than the TSX (speakin in terms of 6MT), not necessarily important. IDK why they left tech off, but it's the same as the TSX oh wells. Now leaving the LSD off makes me wonder. Does the SE 6MT have an LSD?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Where have u guys heard that the K24 won't have the tech option?
I had some very high hopes that this would be the car to replace my DC5. While it isn't horrible, I don't care for the lower front bumper area. Those fog light areas are a little awkward looking.
I don't like the up curve in the beltline either. Also don't care for the slightly hump-backed trunklid. I can live w/ those things, but I cannot live w/ the performance version having hidden exhausts. That look should be left for econocars. It was insulting enough that they didn't do dual exhaust, but now the single can is a pathetic curve tip that's hidden. In a sporty car, looks are just as important as performance.
Speaking of performance, how could there not be diff suspension tuning for the K24 version? Unless the lone suspension was already tuned for the extra nose weight, then it might actually perform worse than the R20.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Since the ILX is a little smaller and weighs a little less it should be a little faster than the TSX (speakin in terms of 6MT), not necessarily important. IDK why they left tech off, but it's the same as the TSX oh wells. Now leaving the LSD off makes me wonder. Does the SE 6MT have an LSD?
No the TSX SE doesn't have LSD. Tech includes Nav. Back up camera, ELS sound, and HDD. Seems like all ILX have push button start tho.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:27 PM
David_Dude

No the TSX SE doesn't have LSD. Tech includes Nav. Back up camera, ELS sound, and HDD. Seems like all ILX have push button start tho.
That seems to be the only good thing going for it at the moment.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Premium package includes the back up camera, but no navigation. The 2.4 6MT is only available in Premium.

Trim Info

ILX Base:
  • 2.0L w/5AT
  • 1.5L w/CVT Hybrid
Standard with:
Keyless Access and pushbutton start
Pandora
SMS (basic replies)
Power Sunroof (assumes it's glass like normal)
16" Alloy Wheels
Bluetooth
Cloth seats

ILX Premium
  • 2.0L w/5AT
  • 2.4L w/6MT
Adds to base:
Leather seats
Heated Front seats
360 watt stereo
XM Radio
Rear view camera
17" Alloy wheels
HID
Fog lights
Auto-dimming mirror

ILX Technology Package
  • 2.0L w/5AT
  • 1.5L w/CVT Hybrid
Adds to Premium
ELS surround audio
Navigation
Homelink
Old 03-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
From the looks of it. I think the 1st Gen TSX looks better.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Some people are complaining about the price. I don't think you realize just how much less the dollar is worth verses 2003 when the TSX came out.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,135 Posts
The days when a TL could be had for 30
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

WTF I can't get homelink with the 2.4L I really can't justify getting rid of my 1st gen TSX anymore for this.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 PM
David_Dude

I know right, Ken? It's typical that the average car transaction is easily $25-30K nowadays. People tend to forget that even the econoboxes are moving up in price. They're easily moving into the $20K+ range.

Wreak idk why Acura didn't just add homelink across the board. Why just for the tech pkg. The ILX is contradictory to what Acura generally stands for.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
WTF I can't get homelink with the 2.4L I really can't justify getting rid of my 1st gen TSX anymore for this.
If the car is prewired for an auto dim mirror then you can swap out the mirror for one that has homelink. I upgraded my Camry in less than 15 minutes. I paid $170 for a Gentex mirror with auto dim, compass, homelink.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 PM
David_Dude

Acura needs to quit ing and add the ILX to their website.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura needs to quit ing and add the ILX to their website.
The RDX is due first, one thing at a time. This car isn't going sale till lat May!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by doopstr
If the car is prewired for an auto dim mirror then you can swap out the mirror for one that has homelink. I upgraded my Camry in less than 15 minutes. I paid $170 for a Gentex mirror with auto dim, compass, homelink.
Hmm, good info thanks for that.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:29 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by Kool Aide
The RDX is due first, one thing at a time. This car isn't going sale till lat May!
Ahhh i thought it was going on sale this month. Well now I know what to expect. Thanks! BTW I thought ILX was due first, not the RDX.

Good thing is, the RDX does look like a mini-MDX. Maybe some of the MDX sales will go towards the RDX. I'm sure it'll be a good seller too.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Meh, it looks kind of boring now IMO but I'd like to see it in other colors. I really don't get Acura at all these days when it comes to their package choices, though, but it is nice to see that they appear to be almost making the Navi a standalone option. While I like my Navi overall and the other goodies the Tech package came with, I have learned very quickly that a portable unit would be just as good (if not better) and smart phones are becoming quite capable in the Navi dept. as well.

I have a feeling I won't be sticking with Acura when it is time for my next car, though, as they seem to be going in a strange direction that I am not 100% sold on...
Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
I already decided that my next car that is an Acura will be the new NSX lol

Other than that, I'll be with my TSX for at least 10 more years.

I was excited at the ILX Concept, but now with the production model and facts, I don't like it anymore
Old 03-23-2012, 04:22 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Meh, it looks kind of boring now IMO but I'd like to see it in other colors. I really don't get Acura at all these days when it comes to their package choices, though, but it is nice to see that they appear to be almost making the Navi a standalone option. While I like my Navi overall and the other goodies the Tech package came with, I have learned very quickly that a portable unit would be just as good (if not better) and smart phones are becoming quite capable in the Navi dept. as well.

I have a feeling I won't be sticking with Acura when it is time for my next car, though, as they seem to be going in a strange direction that I am not 100% sold on...
I agree with the portable Nav. Cheaper and more dependable in some cases. Acura has me confused also. But if its what the market wants...
Old 03-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
I agree with the portable Nav. Cheaper and more dependable in some cases.
The biggest, "Yep, I don't think I want Navi to be built into the car anymore," moment came with my recent accident. While my car is being repaired and I have the rental, it would have been so much better to be able to yank the portable unit out and take it with me to use in the rental. Plus, built in units seem to get dated quite quickly, I don't need to use the Navi everyday, if it craps out it is an expensive repair, etc.

I don't want to sound like I dislike my Navi and it has come in handy on numerous occasions, and there are some definite perks to it being built into the car. But going fwd, it's a pricey option that I will probably avoid. The setup to date that Acura had that said no Navi = no backup camera really sucks (I use mine OFTEN and it is a blessing to have while parking in tight Philly spaces), but that appears to be changing. Plus, for those that haven't heard yet, the U.S. will require backup cameras in all cars beginning in 2014 (and I am assuming that is why Acura has it included in this new "Premium Package" level).

Acura has me confused also. But if its what the market wants...
But the problem with Acura is that they FORCE the market's hand, which I think is really unfair. You want a 6sp manual? No Tech. You want Tech? No sportier engine. I firmly grasp economics of vehicle assemblies, etc., but this is a really strange move and I think short changes them in the long run.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 PM
David_Dude

The biggest, "Yep, I don't think I want Navi to be built into the car anymore," moment came with my recent accident. While my car is being repaired and I have the rental, it would have been so much better to be able to yank the portable unit out and take it with me to use in the rental. Plus, built in units seem to get dated quite quickly, I don't need to use the Navi everyday, if it craps out it is an expensive repair, etc.

I don't want to sound like I dislike my Navi and it has come in handy on numerous occasions, and there are some definite perks to it being built into the car. But going fwd, it's a pricey option that I will probably avoid. The setup to date that Acura had that said no Navi = no backup camera really sucks (I use mine OFTEN and it is a blessing to have while parking in tight Philly spaces), but that appears to be changing. Plus, for those that haven't heard yet, the U.S. will require backup cameras in all cars beginning in 2014 (and I am assuming that is why Acura has it included in this new "Premium Package" level).

But the problem with Acura is that they FORCE the market's hand, which I think is really unfair. You want a 6sp manual? No Tech. You want Tech? No sportier engine. I firmly grasp economics of vehicle assemblies, etc., but this is a really strange move and I think short changes them in the long run.
I'm glad in a way that backup cameras are going to be standard in all cars for 2014 ( i read that somewhere and its like how tpms were standard in 08), especially for cityfolks. In my area we don't even parallel park unless you want to. It's not necessary. It's not even required on our drivers test. I just recently learned how to about a year ago.

IDK why acura is making these moves, but now that you mention it, it's a FORCED deal. It shouldn't be a big deal to include tech with the 6spd.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've actually been excited for this car and was looking forward to buying the first 2.4 Tech in Black my dealer could get. WTF. I seriously don't understand why they wouldn't offer the car in more variants at the highest trim. I would think they would have the highest margins on them?
Old 03-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I'm glad in a way that backup cameras are going to be standard in all cars for 2014 ( i read that somewhere and its like how tpms were standard in 08), especially for cityfolks.
This regulation has been delayed.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
As you noted, it's about the economics of mass production. From a sales perspective, more important than Navi + 6MT is 2.4L + Auto. I know they did something similar with the GS-R (no auto available) but I've always believed it was because the nature of that engine wouldn't have matched an auto. Obviously the 2.4 works fine so why not?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
As you noted, it's about the economics of mass production. From a sales perspective, more important than Navi + 6MT is 2.4L + Auto. I know they did something similar with the GS-R (no auto available) but I've always believed it was because the nature of that engine wouldn't have matched an auto. Obviously the 2.4 works fine so why not?
I agree, it would sell well. But I suspect they are afraid an ILX 2.4L/Auto would steal sales from the TSX or whatever replaces it someday. The same way they kept certain features from the TSX. In the end I think this strategy just loses sales from the brand.

Maybe things will change with the ED engines.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:29 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Or the 5AT.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:41 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Amen. No auto , no sale. They would sell way more 2.4 5AT than 2.4 Tech.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 AM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eshbg
meh, it looks kind of boring now imo but i'd like to see it in other colors. I really don't get acura at all these days when it comes to their package choices, though, but it is nice to see that they appear to be almost making the navi a standalone option. While i like my navi overall and the other goodies the tech package came with, i have learned very quickly that a portable unit would be just as good (if not better) and smart phones are becoming quite capable in the navi dept. As well.

I have a feeling i won't be sticking with acura when it is time for my next car, though, as they seem to be going in a strange direction that i am not 100% sold on...

+1
Old 04-20-2012, 06:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...?click=pm_news

http://www.insideline.com/acura/ilx/...rst-drive.html

Last edited by lmbebo; 04-20-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Safety Car

Unhappy AutoGuide

ANOTHER REDUNDANT ACURA?

My car is also an Acura. It’s also front-wheel drive. It’s also a 4-door. And it’s also powered by a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder. It’s not, however, another TSX. Rather, it’s the brand’s new ILX, which based on those similarities, raises concerns that it might be a redundant product in a brand lineup that already suffers from repetition and which desperately needs fresh new models.

Compared to the TSX, the Civic-based ILX is more compact. It’s also lighter by 400 lbs at just under 3,000 lbs, giving it an edge in terms of acceleration. Identical gear shifters (the ILX 2.4L is sold exclusively with a 6-speed manual) are well-weighted and smooth, with short shifts. The TSX unit sits higher up, however, delivering more of a sports car feel.

Despite weighing far less than it’s big brother, the ILX feels less agile. Much like the Civic on which it’s based, the softer setup of the ILX means body roll is noticeable – the sway bars are the same on the 2.4 as on the base car. Still, don’t be afraid of a little tipping, as the car then holds on and is quite controllable.

Rear drive cornering characteristics, for which the front-drive TSX is celebrated, are less obvious on the ILX. Perhaps more significant, though, is how much more aggressively the TSX turns in.

Delving further into reasons for this, an investigation of tire sizes and compounds reveals more mystery. Both cars use the same Michelin rubber and while the 225/50/17s of the TSX are a size wider, they’re also a higher profile than the 215/45/17s of the ILX.

LIMITED HEADROOM

The less-than-TSX driving dynamics of the ILX are compounded by remarkably poor visibility, severely limiting driver confidence. To achieve the more stylish look of the ILX, compared to the Civic, the roof dropped 1.5-inches. That might not matter too much if you’re 5’10” or below, but at the 6 foot mark there’s little headroom (a fact that’s exacerbated by the standard sunroof) and the roof overhang begins to encroach on sight lines. Again, if you sit lower in the seat, the A-pillar isn’t likely to get in your way, as it’s not terribly thick, but with my hair brushing the ceiling, the intersection between the A-pillar and the roof means a look to the left is like staring at a fabric-coated wall – making for a rather unnerving chase down the switchbacks.

On the plus side, (there is a plus side), the ILX does get a defeatable traction control system, unlike the VW Jetta GLI, allowing for some serious performance driving.

Absent, however, is a limited slip differential, a tool that on the Civic Si works so well that the traction and stability control systems only come on at the limits of adhesion. When asked why the grip-enhancer isn’t available on the ILX, senior product planner Lee DaSilva commented that it didn’t suit the car’s image. Acura wanted to ensure the ILX delivered a luxury driving experience that maintained the brand’s premium feel and it was determined that the mechanical and sometime jerky pulling feeling of the Civic’s LSD wouldn’t work.

THE COMPETITION

So, why this tit-for-tat comparison between the ILX ad TSX: two similar, yet unique products? Apart from the fact that Acura was brazen (read crazy) enough to promote the comparo between the two by offering a TSX to drive, consumers will no doubt line them up as well, based purely on price. Pegged at $29,200 to start, the ILX is just $1,610 less than the TSX with a manual transmission.

And besides, there’s really no other rival for the ILX 2.4 right now. The Buick Verano has the premium (sort of) but not the sport. The same goes for the greenie-focused Lexus CT200h. Being a sedan and offering a more mature look, it even has an edge on the Audi A3. Still, about the only reason to buy the ILX 2.4 is that you feel the TSX is just too large of a car – which is highly unlikely.

Back to the Civic comparo, the ILX is more than just a rebadged Honda. It’s roughly two inches wider than that car. Looking entirely unique it gets Acura’s signature beak (though a moderately sized one). The lack of any visible exhaust pipe on this performance model is, however, odd. Still, it’s every bit an Acura outside and the interior is just as special.

A TRUE ACURA INSIDE

While cloth comes standard on base models, the 2.4-liter gets leather seats with synthetic leather side bolsters as well as a leather-coated steering wheel. Standard features across the ILX range include dual-zone climate control, iPod and USB hookups, Bluetooth, a sunroof, a 5-inch color LCD screen at the top of the dash and keyless access with a push button ignition. But perhaps more important than what you get is how you get it, with a genuine Acura feel to this entry-level product, there is nothing inside the cabin that will make you think you’re in a rebadged Civic.

And there shouldn’t be, for the $7,000 premium the car commands beyond what a Civic Si sedan is going for.

Of note, Acura won’t be offering the Tech Package on the 2.4-liter. When asked, Acura product planners said they wanted to keep the vehicle’s weight down although it seems more obvious that they don’t think the more performance-oriented buyer would go for a pricey Navi system. Perhaps they were also afraid of further ILX redundancy. Consequently, however, it’s yet another reason to pass by the ILX for a TSX.

THE VERDICT

So why buy the ILX 2.4L? There is one reason, but it doesn’t exist yet.

Acura will reportedly move the TSX further up-market and based on the brand’s new strategy (as we’ve seen with the 2013 RDX) is all-but certain to mix more water into the proverbial orange drink. By comparison to that car, the ILX will then look like a good sporting option. And cars like the current TSX will be relegated to the Honda museum – a place that, not coincidentally, also seems to be where Honda now keeps its soul.

Until your options are limited to the car dealership equivalent of Sophie’s Choice, the ILX 2.4-liter is a car that’s worse than redundant, it’s irrelevant.

PHP Code:
    LOVE IT

Premium interior
    Stylish compact luxury looks
    Keyless access 
and push-button ignition standard

LEAVE IT

Poor visibility
    Overpriced
    Not nearly 
as engaging as the TSX
    Completely redundant 
Rocket_man (04-22-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Safety Car

Post AutoGuide

\

Acura has long been a pioneer in the compact premium category. There was the Integra and RSX, seemingly axed just before the segment started to go mainstream. Meanwhile, for the more European-minded Canadians, the Honda luxury division continued to sell the Civic-based EL and then CSX – a vehicle that has helped inform just what a successful and modern small luxury car needs, and what it needs to avoid.
FAST FACTS
1. Acura’s newest model, the ILX, slots in below the TSX and is loosely based on the Honda Civic platform.

2. Three models are offered, including a base 150 hp 2.0L 4-cyl, a 201 hp 2.4L and a 38 mpg combined Hybrid.

3. Pricing for the base ILX starts at $25,900 and tops out at $31,400. The ILX 2.4L is priced at $29,200 and the Hybrid at $28,900 to start.
For starters, Acura promised the ILX would not just be a rebaged Civic and by all accounts the ILX is entirely unique. It does share the same platform, though it’s roughly 2 inches wider and has a lower overall roof height by about two inches as well. Giving the car a more stylish shape, the down side is reduced interior headroom – a problem exacerbated by the standard sunroof.

Style-wise the ILX fits the bill for the segment. Acura’s toned-down front beak blends in with the angled headlights and there are just enough additional sharp edges to give this maturely styled sedan some personality. The aluminum trim around the windows also says it’s a premium model in a way that’s stylish, but not flashy.

There’s a noticeable line that runs across the car and bulges at the back to give this front-driver a rear-drive look. Out back, a strong similarity to the Lexus IS is undeniable, although for a car that’s targeted at the Gen Y youth crowd, the lack of any visible exhaust pipes is a letdown.

IT’S DEFINITELY NO HONDA CIVIC INSIDE

Inside the ILX is just as unique, if not more so. In fact, if you hadn’t been told, it would be hard to detect the Civic underneath.

Monotone cabins (black leather is standard on the 2.4) look a bit simple, though in true Acura fashion there’s no shortage of buttons. One button that can’t be missed is the shiny red ignition, which comes standard on all models, as does keyless access.

Opt for tan leather on the 2.0-liter model and the lower dash section matches the seats, with sweeping faux-aluminum dividing the lighter section below from the black top. The combo makes for a cabin that feels equal with European models priced well-above the ILX and there’s no cheesy faux-wood to be found.

Despite being an entry-level model, craftsmanship is top notch, although, understandably, all the materials aren’t what you’ll get in a $50,000 sedan.

Starting at $25,900, when compared to the more affordable Buick Verano (at $22,585), the interior of the ILX makes a strong case for the extra expense.

Standard goodies inside the cabin include dual-zone climate control, Bluetooth and illuminated controls on the leather tilt and telescopic steering wheel. Between the two gauges there’s a small multi information display, which does look a tad dated. There’s also a sizable 5-inch full color display that sits atop the center of the dash.

Opting for the Premium Package ($3,300) brings a multi-view back-up camera, full leather, an 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat with two-mode heated front seats, an upgraded 360 watt 7-speaker audio system and an Active Sound Cancellation System to keep your ride sounding smooth. An optional Technology Package ($2,200 more), which oddly isn’t available on the 2.4-liter, adds an 8-inch display with excellent graphics (unlike many past Acura units).

There is but one issue with the interior, and it continues to be the lack of headroom, with the section where the A-pillar meets the roof blocking a good chunk of the view out the front.

3 ENGINE OPTIONS

Behind the wheel the ILX can be a rather different machine depending on the engine choice. Base models get a low-tech single overhead cam 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine based off the 1.8-liter in the Civic. Power is up slightly with 150 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque, an increase of 10 hp and 20 lb-ft from the Honda. Of note, Acura Senior product planner Lee DaSilva says the power rating isn’t that important anyway as the car is targeted at Generation Y consumers that “put more priority on looking good over going fast.”

Direct-injection is notably absent, something promised as a part of the brand’s new Earth Dreams Technology initiative – though the ILX does require premium fuel. Offered with a 5-speed manual as standard, a 5-speed automatic is optional. Again, we’re surprised that Honda hasn’t moved on to 6-speeds, especially for Acura branded products, although it’s hard to fault the unit’s smoothness.

To help get the most out of the small powerplant Honda has made the transmission sensitive to throttle inputs, meaning it will drop gears quickly rather than hold on to lower gears as a way to achieve better fuel economy numbers.

As for those numbers, Acura quotes 24 mpg city and 35 highway, besting the 21/32 rating of the Verano by a significant margin. On paper, the Verano’s 180 hp rating might seem much more impressive, however, it’s important to remember that with a curb weight that’s between 300 and 400 lbs more than a base ILX, any performance gain is erased.

Unfortunately Honda’s new 2.0-liter is a buzzy powerplant and while that can be seen as slightly more engaging, it’s also rather crude.

PERFORMANCE MODEL SHOULD BE PASSED-BY

Those looking for more power can opt for the 2.4-liter borrowed from the Civic Si, but shouldn’t. It makes 201 hp and 170 lb-ft of torque and gets 17-inch wheels with low profile tires plus a defeatable traction control system. Like the Civic, it leans too much in the corners though it will hold on and tracks true.

It is significantly more luxurious and stylish than the Honda, though slightly less of a raw performance machine. At $29,200 it’ll also cost you roughly $7,000 more and for that price the TSX is a better all-round option.

HYBRID OPTION

For those who favor fuel economy over performance, Acura is also offering an ILX Hybrid starting from $28,900. Again, using a powertrain borrowed from the 2012 Civic, under the hood is an electric motor mated to Honda’s 1.5-liter gasoline engine. Total system output is rated at 111 hp and 127 lb-ft of torque with a 39-mpg city rating and a 38-mpg highway rating and a combined 38 mpg. That’s well off the Civic Hybrid’s 44-mpg average, and falls short of the Lexus CT200h as well, with its 40/43/42 mpg rating.

We were impressed to get 40 mpg during out test drive, however, Honda’s rather rudimentary Integrated Motor Assist hybrid system is unbecoming of a premium car with a start-stop system that’s abrupt and sometimes stutters off a start. Honda also didn’t do much to hype the hybrid aspect with few dedicated info screens in the car. It does, however, come with an ECON button that dulls throttle input to ensure high mpg numbers.

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/5...DI_NOISSES_PMT

On the highway it’s quiet and smooth with a soft ride thanks to new 2-stage reactive dampers found in all models. All ILX models also get an Active Noise Control system that uses the car’s audio system to “block” you from hearing noises outside the car. Acura claims it’s capable of reducing up to 10 decibels of sound.

THE VERDICT

While many have left the compact premium segment in recent years, with the demise of cars like the Volvo S40, much of what is left or has been introduced is limited to niche segments; being hatchbacks, hybrids or rear-drive coupes. That said, Acura has a huge opportunity to make premium compacts a mainstream category.

The Buick Verano is now competing in the same space, but Acura has an advantage thanks to its history in the segment and a brand image that doesn’t scare younger buyers. Notably more expensive than the Verano, sitting in the ILX will convince you it’s worth it.

A well-rounded car, the ILX offers luxury for less and is certain to also deliver brand qualities like reliability and durability. What is lacking, however, is a more engaging driving experience, once a hallmark of Acura vehicles.

The car’s strongest feature, and the one that will get consumers into Acura dealerships is something luxury buyers crave – choice. Along with the attraction of driving luxury for under $30K, unlike any of its rivals the ILX offers the ability to pick a conventional gasoline option, a performance version and a hybrid all in a sensible and stylish 4-door package.

PHP Code:
    LOVE IT

Good looks
    Interior worthy of premium badge
    Solid standard features
    Conventional packaging with lots of model choice

LEAVE IT

Pricing could be more attractive
    Compromised headroom
    2.4L version Irrelevant
    Hybrid system could be more refined 

Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Edmunds

The 2013 Acura ILX is the smallest sedan in Acura's lineup since the Integra, but it's not a spiritual successor to that car.

Although the ILX is efficient and lightweight like the Acura Integra, the ILX is a more polished sedan for grown-ups. It has a well-damped ride, an upscale interior and plenty of electronics to placate smartphone users. It's priced sanely, too, with a base MSRP of $26,795.

It's the kind of small car you enjoy driving to work more so than wringing it out on a back road. And while that's not exactly what old-school Honda guys want to hear, the ILX marks a return to the less-is-more philosophy that defined Acura in its early years.

It's a Civic, Right?
Much like the dear old Integra, the 2013 Acura ILX shares its wheelbase (105.1 inches) and platform architecture with the current-generation Honda Civic sedan. But it isn't a straight-up badge-and-paint job.

Acura engineers lengthened the car's nose, fitted an aluminum hood and set the windshield farther back to lessen the pronounced cab-forward feel of the Civic, while adding nearly 2 inches to overall length (179.1 inches). In addition, the ILX is 1.6 inches wider (70.6 inches), and its roof line is 1 inch lower, reducing overall height to 55.6 inches. The result is a sedan that wears the current Acura beak more naturally than any other car in the lineup.

Inside, the Civic's controversial, digital-over-analog gauge pack has been banished in favor of more traditional instrumentation. We immediately notice the upgraded materials, all of which look and feel good, including the metallic trim. Quality isn't quite at TSX levels, but it's easily on par with the Honda Accord. Of course, the ILX comes with more amenities than the Civic, like standard dual-zone climate control, Bluetooth connectivity, a rearview camera and a leather-wrapped steering wheel, all of which push the curb weight up to 2,900 pounds on the lightest version. That's about 100 pounds more than a 2012 Civic EX-L Navi, or if you're curious, an automatic-equipped 2000 Integra GS sedan.

The 2013 Acura ILX is close in size to the Buick Verano and Volkswagen Jetta, but company officials don't consider either of those cars key competitors. Instead, they have their eyes on the Audi A3, Volvo S40 (well, whatever latent demand it left behind when Volvo discontinued it) and Lexus CT 200h.

Pick Your Drivetrain
Honestly, it's hard to pinpoint the 2013 ILX's competition, because Acura is offering three very different drivetrains on this car. The company expects 75 percent of customers (and it's hoped there will be 35,000 of them annually) to go for the ILX 2.0L model, and that's the one we're driving on this sunny morning in Scottsdale.

It features a single-overhead-cam, 2.0-liter inline 4-cylinder engine that's essentially a longer-stroke version (81mm bore diameter, 97mm stroke) of the 1.8-liter engine in the Civic (81mm by 87mm). Compression remains 10.6:1, and the engine uses variable intake valves to improve power and efficiency. The 2.0-liter is rated at 150 horsepower at 6,500 rpm and 140 pound-feet of torque at 4,300 rpm — up from 140 hp and 128 lb-ft at the same thresholds in the Civic. In a nod to reality, Acura is only offering this engine with a 5-speed automatic transmission driving its front wheels. As in the TSX, you get a manual mode and paddle shifters.

While we're busy talking, our co-driver hits the highway and the ILX 2.0L gets up to freeway speed easily enough. It's light on low-end grunt, but it feels stronger than the Civic EX we tested, and we expect it to beat that car's 9.2-second 0-60-mph time when we eventually test it. Acura estimates the ILX's EPA fuel economy ratings at 24 city/35 highway/28 combined mpg versus 28/39/32 for an automatic-equipped Civic.

As this is a Honda 4-cylinder, it feels most potent up high and revs freely to its 6,700-rpm redline. Upshifts are smooth, and downshifts come when we need them in "D," though Mazda's new 6-speed automatic provides quicker gearchanges (whether you want to acknowledge Mazda as a competitor or not). Overall, this five-speed auto gets the job done, and we even detect some attempt to match revs when driving with more gusto.

What Are My Other Choices?
Next up is the 2013 Acura ILX Hybrid ($29,785), which is expected to account for the greenest 20 percent of ILX buyers. It shares its drivetrain with the Civic Hybrid and features a 1.5-liter inline-4 engine with a small 17-kilowatt, front-drive electric motor mounted in parallel behind it, and a continuously variable transmission (CVT) behind that. Forty 3.6-volt lithium batteries occupy the trunk, reducing capacity from 12.4 cubic feet to 10 even, but surely you can order a set of custom cloth grocery bags.

Total system power is rated at 111 hp at 5,500 rpm (exactly 1 more hp than the Civic), while torque tops out at 127 lb-ft from 1,000-3,500 rpm. Acura engineers have fiddled with the software, so you get a sharper throttle response for any given pedal input. This, along with the ILX's extra weight, takes a toll on fuel economy ratings, which the company pegs at 39 city/38 highway/38 combined versus 44/44/44 for the Honda.

Of course, like the Honda, the Acura ILX Hybrid feels sluggish if you're thinking about anything other than reducing your environmental footprint. However, we end up enjoying our time on Phoenix's 101 freeway, because the ILX Hybrid has paddle shifters, as well as seven (yes, seven) simulated forward gear ratios. Yank the paddle a couple times and you have enough juice for passing even if you're cruising around in Econ mode.

And if you want something completely different, there's the 2013 ILX 2.4L ($30,095). Acura expects just 5 percent of you to go for this model, the main reason being you can get it only with a six-speed manual gearbox.

The engine is the same sweet-tempered 2.4-liter inline-4 offered in the TSX and Civic Si, and it's rated at 201 hp at 7,000 rpm and 170 lb-ft of torque at 4,400 rpm. We get only 10 minutes in this car, but predictably, this is our favorite engine and we're ripping off heel-and-toe downshifts at 20 mph in the parking lot. Fuel economy estimates are 22 city/31 highway/25 combined.

Solid Chassis
Probably the most impressive thing about the 2013 Acura ILX is how it rides. Mind you, we're only speaking for Arizona highways, which seem to get more love from the state coffers than our California roads. But there's a new level of compliance here, and it doesn't come at the expense of control over bumps and ruts. It's also a quiet ride, as the ILX has all sorts of noise-reduction measures not found on the Civic, including laminated glass and active noise cancellation (via the audio system).

Suspension design is the same as the Civic's, but Acura engineers have upgraded the dampers and bushings, and those new dampers incorporate rebound springs, which are a means of reducing body roll without resorting to aggressive damping or massive stabilizer bars. It sounds good, but there aren't any serious curves on our route, so we'll reserve judgment on handling until we instrument-test the ILX.

All ILXs get the same basic suspension calibration, which we think might be too soft for the 2.4L model and its high-revving engine. (Along with this caveat comes another: The ILX 2.4L is the only 1 of the ILX models that can't be equipped with a navigation system, though you can at least have a Premium package with HID headlights.)

You get 17-inch wheels and P215/45R17 Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 all-season tires standard on the ILX 2.4L. These tires are optional on the ILX 2.0L, which along with the ILX Hybrid, comes with standard P205/55R16 Continental ContiProContact all-season rubber. Front brake disc diameter varies by model: The Hybrid has 10.3-inch rotors, the 2.0L has 11.1-inch rotors and the 2.4L gets 11.8-inch rotors. Everybody gets 10.2-inch solid discs in back, and the cast-iron calipers are strictly of the single-piston, sliding variety.

The steering system uses electric assist, but it has a quicker ratio than the Civic — 15.1:1 versus 16.1. It's precise, with good stability on-center, but we wish it had more feel.

Inconspicuous Consumption
If you're still giving unsolicited eulogies to the Integra at dinner parties, then the 2013 Acura ILX probably isn't your car. But if you want a refined compact car that has everything you and your smartphone need and not 1 cubic foot more, there's a case to be made for the ILX over the larger, less efficient cars in this price range.

And we're cautiously hopeful that the ILX might point the way to a renaissance of smaller, lighter cars for the Acura brand.

"Most of the sales growth is at the entry level, and that requires us to move beyond our volume midsize models, the TL and MDX," Jeff Conrad, Acura's vice president of sales and service, told media assembled in Arizona.

Great, we say. Bring on the ILX Type R.

Specs & Performance
Vehicle
Year Make Model 2013 Acura ILX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)
Vehicle Type FWD 4dr 5-passenger Sedan
Estimated MSRP $26,795 (base price), $32,295 (as tested with Technology package)
Assembly location Greensburg, IN
Drivetrain
Configuration Transverse, front-engine, front-wheel drive
Engine type Naturally aspirated, port-injected inline-4
Displacement (cc/cu-in) 1,997/122
Block/head material Aluminum/aluminum
Valvetrain SOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, variable intake-valve timing
Compression ratio (x:1) 10.6
Horsepower (hp @ rpm) 150 @ 6,500
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm) 140 @ 4,300
Fuel type Premium unleaded (recommended)
Transmission type 5-speed automatic with console shifter and steering wheel-mounted paddles
Transmission ratios (x:1) I = 2.79, II = 1.68, III = 1.13, IV = 0.77, V = 0.59, R = 2.00
Final-drive ratio (x:1) 4.44
Chassis
Suspension, front Independent MacPherson struts, coil springs, twin-tube dampers, stabilizer bar
Suspension, rear Independent multilink, coil springs, twin-tube dampers, stabilizer bar
Steering type Electric-assist, speed-proportional, rack-and-pinion power steering
Steering ratio (x:1) 15.1
Turning circle (ft.) 36.1
Tire make and model Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
Tire type All-season
Tire size P215/45R17 87V
Wheel size 17-by-7-inches
Wheel material Cast aluminum
Brakes, front 11.1-inch ventilated disc with single-piston sliding cast-iron caliper
Brakes, rear 10.2-inch solid disc with single-piston sliding cast-iron caliper
Fuel Consumption
Fuel economy, mfr. est. (mpg) 24 city/35 highway/28 combined
Fuel tank capacity (U.S. gal.) 13.2
Audio and Advanced Technology
Stereo description Standard AM/FM tuner with in-dash CD player, six speakers and 160-watt amplifier; test car has optional ELS audio system with CD/DVD player, 10 speakers, 365-watt amplifier and Dolby Pro Logic II simulated surround-sound
iPod/digital media compatibility Standard USB and auxiliary inputs; Pandora app integration for smartphones
Satellite radio Included with Premium package on test car
Hard-drive music storage capacity (Gb) 15GB, included with Technology package on test car
Bluetooth phone connectivity Standard; includes audio streaming and, for MAP-enabled smartphones, SMS text-to-speech capability
Navigation system Included with Technology package on test car; hard-drive-based system with traffic and weather data; 8-inch display (measured diagonally)
Smart entry/Start Standard
Parking aids Back-up camera standard; multi-view back-up camera included with Premium package on test car
Blind-spot detection Not available
Adaptive cruise control Not available
Lane-departure monitoring Not available
Collision warning/avoidance Not available
Dimensions & Capacities
Curb weight, mfr. claim (lbs.) 2,910 (base car), 2,970 (as tested with Technology package)
Length (in.) 179.1
Width (in.) 70.6
Height (in.) 55.6
Wheelbase (in.) 105.1
Track, front (in.) 59.4
Track, rear (in.) 60.3
Legroom, front (in.) 42.3
Legroom, rear (in.) 34.0
Headroom, front (in.) 37.9
Headroom, rear (in.) 35.9
Shoulder room, front (in.) 55.6
Shoulder room, rear (in.) 53.5
Trunk volume (cu-ft) 12.4 (base car), 12.3 (as tested with Technology package)
Warranty
Bumper-to-bumper 4 years/50,000 miles
Powertrain 6 years/70,000 miles
Corrosion 5 years/Unlimited mileage
Roadside assistance 4 years/50,000 miles

Rocket_man (04-22-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I am disappointed beyond words that the 2.4L model will carry the si motor with a zero increase in hp/tq. I'm even more disappointed that the 2.4L model will have the EXACT same suspension as the 2.0L and hybrid (seriously WTF Acura). So if I want a sportier suspension which obviously I would with the 2.4L model I would need to immediately tear apart the suspension of a brand new car and void warranties to get this car to where it should be in the first place. Hell even an available a-spec suspension package would've been acceptable.

I really feel like Acura is abandoning making anything with some soul for the enthusiasts. They're more set on making a Honda Civic in their luxury line, that's fine, but don't leave the guys who desire a little something extra from their cars out in the cold.

A properly done Type R or Type S version of this car could've really been something special, what a waste.

PS. Hidden tailpipes WTF

Last edited by wreak; 04-20-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
I am disappointed beyond words that the 2.4L model will carry the si motor with a zero increase in hp/tq. I'm even more disappointed that the 2.4L model will have the EXACT same suspension as the 2.0L and hybrid (seriously WTF Acura). So if I want a sportier suspension which obviously I would with the 2.4L model I would need to immediately tear apart the suspension of a brand new car and void warranties to get this car to where it should be in the first place. Hell even an available a-spec suspension package would've been acceptable.

I really feel like Acura is abandoning making anything with some soul for the enthusiasts. They're more set on making a Honda Civic in their luxury line, that's fine, but don't leave the guys who desire a little something extra from their cars out in the cold.

A properly done Type R or Type S version of this car could've really been something special, what a waste.

PS. Hidden tailpipes WTF

Acura only expects to sell 5% of ILX's in the 2.4l trim. Honestly they are not that worried about customers that want the 2.4l. Not even sure why thee are making this model other than to keep up an image. Maybe once the TSX is discontinued this model will be more attractive. But for 5% of sales it is not worth it. Dealers won't order many of these cars and of the few they do will be hard to sell.

Quick Reply: 1st Generation Acura ILX Reviews